First Aid Merit Badge
Requirements for the First Aid Merit Badge are much broader than knowing how to make a sling or choosing the correctly sized Band Aid.TM
The first 4 requirements for the First Aid Merit Badge follow below.* (There are 10 additional requirements/steps!)
1. Demonstrate to your counselor that you have current knowledge of all first-aid requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks.
2. Explain how you would obtain emergency medical assistance from:
- Your home
- A remote location on a wilderness camping trip
- An activity on open water
3. Define the term triage. Explain the steps necessary to assess and handle a medical emergency until help arrives
4. Explain the universal precautions as applied to the transmission of infections. Discuss the ways you should protect yourself and the victim while administering first aid.
*These requirements are from the official Boy Scout/Scouts BSA website which you can find at www.scouting.org—follow the link and search so you are sure you are seeing the latest information.